UPDATE: SOUTHERN ISRAEL HIT BY ROCKETS LAST NIGHT. IDF HAS CLOSED JUDEA AND SAMARIA. TERROR ALERT RAISED TO HIGHEST LEVEL.
Rosh Hashanah begins here in Israel at sundown tonight bringing the Jewish year 5771 to a close. And while your humble servant hopes that those of you who celebrate the holiday (and those of you who don’t) will have the sweetest of new years, we who support Israel got a bitter taste yesterday of what the new year will bring from our ‘peace seeking’ Palestinian neighbors.
You may remember that in the last two months Israeli officials went out of their way to make goodwill gestures to the Palestinians at the outset and end of Ramadan. Yesterday, as Rosh Hashanah is poised to begin, Sabri Saydam, a spokesman for the PLO’s Palestinian Authority, announced a new five-pronged attack on Israel that features:
1. cutting all commercial ties with Israel
2. melding together anti-Israel campaigns and groups into a unified effort against Israel
3. organizing popular, ‘non-violent’ protests against Israel within Palestinian towns and cities with the specific attempt of gaining the support of ‘foreign activists’
4. demanding that universities worldwide cut all academic connections with Israeli institutions
5. promoting a boycott of Israeli products in all possible forums–focusing on Facebook and other social networks (a boycott to include “all” Israeli products, not merely goods originating in Judea and Samaria)
So dear readers, despite all of the wonderful work you all have done in the past year countering boycotts of Israeli products and universities, you can expect your locale to be assaulted with a huge surge of anti-Israel hatred.
You can expect that your food co-ops and supermarket chains will be targeted and re-targeted on a massive scale; you can expect that there will be demonstrations at any store near you that sells any Israeli product; you can expect universities and colleges in your area to erupt in even more anti-Israel rhetoric in an attempt to force divestment from Israel and the severing of all academic connections with Israel; and you can expect all of the so-called ‘human rights’ groups to band together with ‘left-leaning’ religious organizations in your town or city to fill your newspapers with letters and your community meeting places with events that are virulently anti-Israel.
It is easy to shrink back in the face of such an onslaught, but this is the time to redouble our efforts in support of Israel. Start a local Israel support group. If you are in the U.S., contact:
immediately every time you see anti-Israel activity in your community. Talk to people. Write letters. Contact your politicians. Get involved on a daily basis–and ask yourself before you go to sleep every night: “What did I do for Israel today?”
Shana Tovah to you and your family!