UPDATES 5 pm Israel time, Monday, March 17 2014:
Nothing “extraordinary” has taken place over the last 24 hours: Israeli cars have been firebombed with Molotov cocktails throughout Judea and Samaria; Palestinian terrorists in Gaza fired another rocket at southern Israel that fortunately fell in Gaza; a Palestinian boat off the coast of Gaza fired on an Israeli patrol boat and, and, and . . . you get the idea, dear reader.
It has been widely and ridiculously reported that Monday’s meeting between U.S. President Barack Obama and unelected Palestinian president and chairman of the PLO Mahmoud Abbas will be a “tough one”.
Supposedly, Obama will push the Palestinians to make concessions to peace--something that the Palestinians have never done in all the years and through all the so-called “peace processes” that have ever taken place. Certainly the current Obama Administration–in the form of John Kerry–has not pushed the Palestinians to make any concessions and has, in fact, taken over their place at the so-called “negotiating” table demanding concessions from Israel.
There is no reason to believe that the Obama and Kerry will change their tune at this late date. What can be expected is that Obama and Kerry will emerge from the meeting as the Palestinian mouthpiece demanding even more concessions from Israel.
And those concessions have already been spelled out by Abbas. To remain in the “negotiations” in which he refuses to “negotiate”, Abbas will demand that Israel freeze all construction of Jewish homes, schools, and health clinics in Judea, Samaria, and Jerusalem. More than this, he will demand the release of more Palestinian terrorist murderers–most notably Ahmed Sa’adat (the head of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine) and Marwan Barghouti (the head of Tanzim). Both of these terrorists have been convicted of multiple murders of Israeli citizens.
It is simply unbelievable that such demands can be brought to the White House.
Especially when one considers the neverending Israeli concessions that have been made and are being made for peace–concessions that are never mentioned at the White House, in the United Nations, in the European Union, and certainly not in the international media.
Your humble servant has compiled a short list of those concessions for your perusal this morning.
1. Israel has maintained a de facto halt in construction in Judea, Samaria, and in parts of Jerusalem since this latest round of “negotiations” began. Fledgling Jewish communities are routinely razed by Israeli security forces, and no building whatsoever has taken place in such locations as the E1 area outside Ma’ale Adumim.
2. Israel continues to prop up Mahmoud Abbas and the PLO. For all of the talk about the security cooperation between the Palestinians and Israelis, the main focus of that cooperation is keeping the PLO and Mahmoud Abbas in power–and making sure that Hamas, Islamic Jihad, and other groups do not make further inroads into Judea and Samaria.
3. Israel continues to provide electricity to the Palestinians in Judea and Samaria at no cost. The Palestinians simply refuse to pay their electricity bills, and the Israel Electric Company increases the electricity costs to Israelis to cover the difference. Electricity is also conveyed into Gaza–and just this morning, Israel opened the Kerem Shalom Crossing so that diesel fuel can be taken to Hamas to reopen the Gaza power plant.
4. Israel continues to provide “humanitarian” aid to the Palestinians in Gaza on a massive scale. During February alone, Israel facilitated the entry of 4,364 truckloads of goods into Gaza, and 12,256 Palestinians passed through the Erez Terminal into Israel.
5. And last but certainly not least, Israel continues to release terrorist murderers from Israeli prisons. It is amazing how the world demands Israel put Palestinian murderers back on the street, and then forgets about it as soon as we do.
This list goes on and on. But whatever Israel does, it is never enough. As Moshe Yaalon said the other day, the Palestinians only know how to “take”; they never “give” anything. But again, why should they ever give a concession? After all, no one expects them to do–not the least Barack Obama and John Kerry.