The Temple Mount Event for Hallal Yaffa Ariel (Part 1)

7 Tammuz 5776

Wednesday, July 13 2016


UPDATES 9 am Israel time

Palestinian terror unreported by the mainstream media yesterday

From an attempted terror attack at Ofra by 3 Palestinian terrorists armed with shotguns to Molotov firebombs hurled at Israelis at Otniel and Rachel’s Tomb to “rock” attacks at such places as Nof Zion, Beit Ummar, Beit Einun, and Emmanuel, there were more than 20 Palestinian terror attacks.

…Hypocrisy incarnate…

Yesterday, U.S. State Department spokesman John Kirby condemned the Israel Knesset’s passage of the NGO Transparency Law (aka “The Associations Law’) on Monday (click here to read the State Department transcript) . In Kirby’s words:

” . . . we are . . . very concerned about the potential impacts of this legislation – in particular, the chilling effect that this new law could have on NGO activities. As the President has made clear, a free and functional civil society is essential, and governments must protect freedoms of expression, including dissent and association, and create an atmosphere where all voices can be heard.”

Ironically, Kirby’s comments came on the same day that the U.S. Senate Committee on Investigations published a report which delineated how the Obama Administration–via the U.S. State Department tried to subvert the democratic process in Israel during the last election.

As has been well documented on this blog, the State Department did this through the funding of the “One Voice” and the V15 NGOs–both of whose sole purpose was to bring down the government of Benjamin Netanyahu and replace it with Obama sycophants Yitzak Herzog and Tzipi Livni.

It was reported on Israel television last night that the budget for V15 activities alone exceeded the entire campaign budget for Netanyahu’s Likud party.

By the way, the U.S. State Department was not alone in its hypocritical condemnation of the new Israeli law.

The European Union, another entity that spends untold amounts of money attempting to subvert democracy in Israel, brazenly released this statement: 

“The reporting requirements imposed by the new law go beyond the legitimate need for transparency and seem aimed at constraining the activities of these civil society organizations working in Israel.”

Civil society organizations?

What a joke. Civil society organizations that subvert democracy in Israel and delegitimize Israel everywhere.

And what about United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon–who never misses an opportunity to delegitimize Israel? Here’s what he had to say: “I am concerned by Israel’s passage of the so-called NGO Transparency Law, which contributes to a climate in which the activities of human rights organizations are increasingly delegitimized.”



There was no israelstreet blog yesterday because your humble servant and his wife went to Jerusalem to participate in the event honoring the memory of Hallal Yaffa Ariel, the 13-year-old girl who was slaughtered by a Palestinian (who stabbed her dozens of times) as she slept in her bedroom in Kiryat Arba on June 30th.

Last week Hallal’s parents called on Israelis to join them at the Mughrabi Gate yesterday and to try to climb the Temple Mount to commemorate their daughter’s life. I say “try to climb” because in today’s environment, it is by no means certain that Jews can ascend the Temple Mount. Hallal’s mother, Rina, made a special plea to PM Netanyahu to approve she and her husband as well as 250 more Jews going to the Mount.

Today’s blog is the first of two parts describing our experience.

The meeting time at the Mughrabi gate had been set for 7:30 in the morning; we arrived at 7:15 am and got in the front of the line at the Mughrabi checkpoint.

Already, a small number of family and friends had erected this banner:

The banner reads:

The banner reads: ” Hallal was taken from us. We are all Hallal’s family. We will double our efforts for Israel!”

The reason that 7:30 am was chosen is that “non-Muslims” are supposedly permitted by the Jordanian Islamic Wakf and the Jerusalem Police to go up to the Mount from 7:30 am to 11:30 am on Tuesdays.

From 7:30 am to 8:30 am, the line behind us swelled to more than 200 people, and some Christian groups were permitted to go up.

But no Jews. All of us had to turn in out teudat ze’uts (Israeli ID cards) to the police and wait.

A number of Temple Mount activists arrived, led by Rabbi Yehuda Glick. Rabbi Glick had a bodyguard with him following death threats he received on Monday. You may recall that Glick was shot 5 times by a terrorist several years ago and almost died.

Following a short conversation that your humble servant had with the Rabbi . . .

Rabbi Glick with your humble servant.

Rabbi Glick with your humble servant.

. . . I was able to record a part of an interview that he had with a newsman standing nearby (you’ll have to listen closely to what he said because he is soft-spoken–but it is worth the effort because of the power of his message):


At 8:30 am, the Hallal’s parents arrived. Given the fact of what murderous tragedy had befallen them less than two weeks ago, they were remarkable in their eloquence, resilience, and tenacity. I was able to record a little of what Rina told the crowd:

VIDEO (IN HEBREW): If you do not speak Hebrew, Rina (you can see her dressed in white, at the upper center of the screen, holding the microphone) tells the crowd: “The heart of our daughter was stabbed and killed, and this [the Temple Mount in Jerusalem] is the heart of the Jewish nation. We have to empower it. We need to help to strengthen it, and to strengthen the whole nation. This is something that is sad, but it’s also something that gives us power to know that there is some destiny and something we can do–not only cry and sit flat on the floor–but to build something that’s adding something new to this whole environment in Israel.”

At 9:00 am, the Ariels and a small group of about 50 additional family members and close friends went up to the Mount–their passage having been preapproved by the powers that be.

The rest of us, by this time numbering more than 250, continued to wait in line.

More Christian groups and other international tourists made their way up the ramp. But we continued to wait–having very animated discussions with those around us in line. My wife, a bit ahead of me in line, was with a group of women from Kiryat Arba who had, as you might imagine, very strong opinions about the security situation in the country. But no stronger opinion than that of my wife:

The woman in the sunglasses (my wife) talking to the Kiryat Arba women.

The woman in the sunglasses (my wife) talking to the Kiryat Arba women. They are at front of the line.

As for me, I was clustered in a group with a young orthodox man from Beitar Illit who had immigrated to Israel from New York. A man on the other side of me was from Modi’in, and he too had made aliya to Israel from New York. Others included a rabbi from Kiryat Arba and a man from Jerusalem. We were all scrunched together like sardines in a can.

And we waited. And waited. Each time a policeman holding a handful of ID cards came down from the inspection point (which we could not see) to the place where the line started, we hoped that it would be our turn.

9:30, 9:45, 10:00–all the while listening to speeches from Knesset members on the steps beside us–all of which lambasted the government for its Temple Mount policy. Speaker after speaker proclaimed how ridiculous it was that we Jews had to stand there in the scorching heat to go up to the Mount–our holiest place. 

Your humble servant could not have agreed more.

10:15–three hours after we had arrived and we were still standing there. However, slowly, very slowly, Jews standing in line began to have their names called.

10:30. Just when we were about despair of ever going up, our names were called and we made our way forward.

That is the point at which tomorrow’s blog will begin.



This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.