UPDATE: 6 pm Friday. Several confrontations have taken place this afternoon between Jewish community members and the IDF near Kiryat Arba–as Ehud Barak orders soldiers to raze a community building constructed on Hill 18 (Avichai) outside of Hevron. At the same time, the Netanyahu government has asked the Israel Supreme Court for a three month delay in razing the Ulpana neighborhood of Beit El–igniting a firestorm of protest from the Israeli left and international “human rights” organizations.
Your humble servant is continually struck about how in the midst of mass Iranian hangings of gays and dissidents, continuing massacres of Syrian civilians, and the utter repression of women throughout the Middle East and north Africa, the “leftist peace movement” in Europe and the Americas singles out Israel for condemnation.
Your humble servant always wonders what fuels such a vocally rabid and singular obsession with a country that is the only country in the Middle East that demonstrably protects the rights of gays, women, and other minorities? Where is the leftist outcry when Islamists trample human rights?
Take the deafening silence of the leftists and “human rights” groups yesterday concerning the news out Egypt.
The Islamists who have “democratically” taken over the Egyptian parliament have introduced the following laws in the past few days–laws that they say emanate from Sharia law:
1. Lowering the legal marriage age for women to 14 years of age.
2. Abolishing all Egyptian women’s right to education.
3. Abolishing all Egyptian women’s right to employment.
4. Approving the right of men to have sex with their wives up to six hours after their wife’s death.
Yes, you read number four correctly. And lest you think, dear reader, that this is just some bizarre notion of Egyptian Islamists, the idea of a man having sex with his dead wife was affirmed last year in a fatwa issued by Moroccan imam Zamzami Abdul Bari who encouraged Muslim men to have “farewell intercourse.”
Where are the human rights organizations? Why aren’t they up in arms and marching in the street over this nauseating demeaning of women?
It is in this context and many others that your humble servant marvels at the delusion of those in the West who continue to embrace the Islamists. A Wednesday editorial in The Washington Times states the point very well–though your humble servant might substitute “Muslims” for “Radical Muslim”:
“No matter what the source of the delusion, no political movement that exalts the Koran can peaceably coexist with the concept of freedom at the root of Western governance. Islamist notions of democracy are constrained by the strictures of their religion. Radical Muslims reject the humanistic values that gave birth to modern Western government; the self-evident truths regarding everyone’s inalienable rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness are just so much infidel heresy to the Islamists. There are no inalienable rights under political Islam, only submission to the will of Allah.”
Welcome to the neighborhood of Israel–a neighborhood where the so-called Arab Spring is being rapidly replaced by the Islamist Sharia Winter.
As noted in recent blogs, a list of vocabulary for Israel supporters to begin using is appended to today’s blog (and every blog for the next month).
1. Use ‘Judea and Samaria’ instead of ‘
the West Bank‘.
2. Use ‘Jewish community’ instead of ‘
3. Use ‘construction of Jewish homes, schools, and hospitals’ instead of ‘
4. Use ‘new Jewish communities’ instead of ‘
5. Use ‘Jewish community member’ instead of ‘
6. Use ‘conservative politicians’ instead of ‘
7. Use ‘PLO’ or ‘Palestine Liberation Organization’ instead of ‘
8. Use ‘Palestinian Islamic Terrorist Organization–HAMAS’ instead of merely ‘
9. Use ‘Israeli men, women, and children’ instead of ‘
10. Use ‘Palestinian cities’ instead of ‘
Palestinian refugee camps‘.
11. Use Palestinian ‘settlements’ instead of Palestinian
‘villages’ or ‘hamlets’.
12. Use Palestinian ‘settlers’ instead of Palestinian
‘farmers’ and ‘villagers’.
13. Use international ‘lawbreakers’ instead of international
14. Use ‘the suicide bomber prevention fence instead of the
‘separation fence’ or ‘wall’.