Here’s the moment you have been waiting for–the answers to the quiz of the last three days. All answers are marked with an asterisk *. Thank you, dear readers, for your patience!
1. What is the total population of Israel?
2. What was the Israeli Arab population in 1949? And what is it today?
A. Israeli Arabs 1949: 8,534,907/Israeli Arabs today: 5,327,202
B. Israeli Arabs 1949: 159,100/Israeli Arabs today: 1,600,100*
C. Israeli Arabs 1949: 6,450,518/Israeli Arabs today: 956,678
D. Israeli Arabs 1949: 4,338,421/Israeli Arabs today: 2,112,677
3. What is the geographical area of Israel (including all of Jerusalem and the Golan Heights)?
A. 8463 sq mi*
B. 10,533 sq mi
C. 16,421 sq mi
D. 22,972 sq mi
4. What is the tallest mountain in Israel?
A. Mt. Meron
B. Mt. Ramon
C. Mt. Tabor
D. Mt. Hermon*
5. Who was the first Prime Minister of Israel?
A. Yitzhak Shamir
B. Levi Eshkol
C. Yitzhak Rabin
D. David Ben-Gurion*
7. Who was the second Prime Minister of Israel?
A. Levi Eshkol
B. Yigal Allon
C. Moshe Sharett*
D. David Ben-Gurion
8. How many members are in Israel’s legislative body, the Knesset?
9. How many political parties have at least one elected representative in the current Knesset?
10. How many justices are on the Israeli Supreme Court?
D. There is no fixed number; the number is determined by a Knesset resolution.*
11. The date on which the First Zionist Congress (which took place in Basel, Switzerland) opened was:
A. August 29, 1897*
B. May 14, 1898
C. November 29, 1899
D. March 3, 1900
12. What % of the current population of Israel is Christian?
13. What is the circumference of the Kinneret, also known as the Sea of Galilee?
A. 13 km (8.1 mi.)
A. 21 km (13 mi.)
B. 53 km (33 mi.)*
C. 76 km (47 mi.)
14. In terms of overall population, which one of these Israeli cities is NOT among the six most populated cities in the country?
C. Rishon LeZion
D. Petah Tikva
15. What % of the Israeli workforce is engaged in agriculture?
16. Who composed the lyrics of the Israeli national anthem Hatikvah?
A. Shmuel Cohen
B. Bedrich Smetana
C. Naphtali Imber*
D. The text comes from the Torah
17. In order of sales, which of the following companies made the most money in 2010?
A. Teva Pharmaceuticals*
B. Israel Electric Corporation
C. Intel Electronics
D. Rafael Armaments and Development
18. The first political party on the Israeli “right” was the Likud party. What was the first year that Likud was voted into power in Israel–the first year that the Israeli “left” was not in power?
19. Since the inception of the Jewish National Fund, how many trees has it been responsible for planting in Israel?
20. On what day were the Haganah, Palmach, and Irgun were consolidated under a new title, the Israel Defense Forces?
A. May 14 1947
B. May 15 1948
C. May 26 1948*
D. June 1, 1949
21. What was the earliest written use of the word “Israel”?
A. In the Torah (at some point prior to 1500 BCE)
B. On the Egyptian Merneptah Stele (1209 BCE)*
C. On the Tel Dan Stele (approximately 850 BCE)
22. According to the most recent archaeological evidence, when did King David conquer the Jebusites and make Jerusalem the capital of Israel?
A. between 1350-1250 BCE
B. between 1100-1050 BCE*
C. between 900-850 BCE
23. According to Assyrian records, when was the northern Kingdom of Israel sacked by the Assyrians and most of its residents exiled into the far reaches of the Assyrian Empire?
A. 742-714 BCE*
B. 660-655 BCE
C. 613-612 BCE
24. According to Babylonian records, when did the Babylonians conquer the Assyrians and the southern kingdom of Israel, capture Jerusalem, destroy the First Temple–and enslave and deport hundreds of thousands of Jews?
A. 586 BCE*
B. 411 BCE
C. 312 BCE
25. Under which Persian king was the Temple rebuilt?
B. Cyrus the Great
26. When did the Romans destroy the Second Temple at the end of the first Jewish-Roman war?
A. 176 BCE
B. 115 BCE
C. 70 CE*
27. Who was the Roman emperor who attempted to erase the words ‘Judea’ and ‘Israel’ from the lexicon and replace them with his artificially constructed word “Palestine”–at the end of the 3rd Jewish-Roman War?
28. When did the first Muslims bring Islam to the land of Israel?
A. 2000 years ago in the 1st century CE.
B. In 263 CE., about 250 years after Jesus.
C. In 634 CE., over 1600 years after the Jewish Kingdom of Israel was established.*
29. In what year did the Christian Crusaders first conquer Jerusalem?
A. 1099 CE*
B. 1323 CE
C. 1588 CE
30. According to the 1844 Ottoman census, what was the population of Jerusalem?
A. 7120 Muslims, 5000 Christians, 3390 Jews
B. 7120 Christians, 5000 Muslims, 3390 Jews
C. 7120 Jews, 5000 Muslims, 3390 Christians*
Your humble servant hopes that this Israel Quiz has been both instructive and entertaining. If you answered more than 25 questions correctly, consider yourself an expert on Israel. If you answered fewer than 25 questions correctly, don’t worry, you’ll do better next time!
Tomorrow, this blog will return to its running commentary on all news related to Israel.